Sunday 9 October 2011

An evolutionist and a creationist in artistic collaboration?

My description of myself is artist, creator and research scientist. I have had reason this weekend to ponder the possibility of collaborating on an art project with an artist who describes themselves as a creationist.  There are undoubtedly areas of our artistic endeavours which overlap, but my art and my artistic intention is based on the concept of evolution. Charles Darwin’s sketch of the Tree of Life is central to my thinking.

Creationism is the exact antithesis of my belief.  Opposites can be a very powerful tool (i.e. yin & yang) if they can complement each other in some way, however, I see creationism and evolution as being two completely incompatible belief systems. I don’t want my artistic energy to be expended in creating work about disharmony but neither do I think that the chasm between the thinking of a creationist and an evolutionist can be overlooked.  I am concerned about the disruption it would cause me on a personal level to have the evolution/creationist discussion whilst working on a specific project, but even more concerned that this decision should not be seen as cowardice or bigotry.  

I believe that everything evolves; including ideas, beliefs and knowledge and I am really fascinated to try to understand the beliefs of another artist and how they interpret these beliefs in the artwork they are undertaking.  

The conclusion to my current train of thought is that: the outcome of any discussions would need to be sufficiently established and documented to warrant publication and I don’t think that this would be possible in the timescale available to us through the proposed project. I am however keen to continue the discussion outside the remit of the project.  

I am aware that simply by having the discussion we will inevitably influence each other in terms of thinking. I am looking forward to an artistic outcome without prejudice.

No comments:

Post a Comment