Tuesday 15 October 2013

Working towards BCTF at Harrogate 2014

Well I feel like I've taken on a huge commitment - But it's the incentive I needed to actually get a business up and running. 

Helen Birmingham - Contemporary Quilting. 


I'm busy making samples and setting up an online shop for TRADE customers.

The product which I'll be launching at British Craft Trade Fair in April 2014 is a versatile quilted panel design, broadly based on my studies into evolution and heredity. I am using natural fibres for the outside 'look' of the panels, but as a child of the 1960's I have a reminiscent sentimental love for Terylene wadding in eiderdowns and quilts. I am using 4oz wadding, which gives that wonderfully puffy, over-stuffed comforter feel.


Each panel begins life as a piece of linen measuring 18" wide by about 6ft long. I work the surface with the addition of appliqued and quilted fabrics, such as linen, hemp, wool, silk and cotton. I am particularly fond of hessian, jute and muslin with very open weave, the structure of which i can physically manipulate before stitching to the suface of the panel.


 I also really like the look of couched thread, string and wool. My favourite hand embroidery stitches are a plain running stitch, bullion stitch and a simple fly stitch. 


Once i am satisfied with the look or feel of the panel, and before using wadding or batting, or binding the edges, I make a decision as to the end product i wish to make. This either involves cutting the panel into smaller sections, for example for a cushion or a bag, or stitching panels together to form larger wallhangings or throws.



I think this will provide a versatile method of working. I have a very creative mind, and have acknowledged my constant need to keep moving forwards with ideas and projects. I believe that this method of working will mean that i can adapt ideas and design within a fairly stable framework. I will be able to make a 'stock pile' of panels, and then adapt them according to the orders i receive.  I am very happy with the progress of this project so far. I have my logo. I nearly have my on-line shop. I am making good samples, thinking about the 'look' of my trade stand, and have an information leaflet ready to send to printers.

Onwards . . . . . .  







No comments:

Post a Comment