Wednesday 6 August 2014

I Heard His Voice

This is my first attempt at Flash Fiction

I Heard His Voice  by Helen Barter

I heard his voice. 

I said, "Hang on. I'll buzz you in." 
I saw him standing in the lobby,  in a pristine white shirt. During the opening of the door he turned into my Father, my Mother already standing behind me. I tried to close the door.  I tried to turn the figure in white back into him. I would have given him my time.  I would've stopped what I was doing, but I didn't want to talk to my Father.

I was busy looking for something. I was late already,  going out to read some mediocre poetry to a group of mediocre poets. I couldn't decide whether to read 'Cupboard' or 'Mother', but couldn't find either. 

My Father followed me around the room asking questions I didn't know the answers to and things which I didn't want to think about. I felt foolish, impatient and cross, but disloyal for ignoring him and wishing he wasn't there. My Mother sat in a chair and began to cry. My Father walked across and stood behind her, his hands exerting downward pressure on her shoulders.

I found 'Cupboard' so stopped looking for 'Mother'.

'Mother' was in her lap. She picked it up and read it aloud, then screwed it into a tight ball.  I said she could keep it but she threw it at me. She stood up and walked towards to door, my Father followed her. 

They walked away, leaving me with 'Cupboard' and a pristine white shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment