Sunday 18 September 2011

Scarborough Based Artists - Intentions and Objectives

I am writing this open letter to try to explain what my intentions are in setting up Scarborough Based Artists. I apologise for not having set out adequate definitions from the start, and therefore potentially allowing my objectives to be misinterpreted.

Scarborough Based Artists was the result of my enthusiasm to host a group where artists/craftspeople/makers could meet and chat with other likeminded individuals. I believe that by offering each other support and friendship we will create situations which will enhance our professional opportunities. Sharing and discussing the possibilities of publicising ourselves, either as individuals or as a group can only be a positive thing for the artistic community as a whole.

I feel uneasy when conversations, particularly online, are of a contentious, confrontational or political nature, and I was frustrated to have been left feeling vulnerable and out-of-my-depth after some of last weeks’ discussions.  Rightly or wrongly I felt that the atmosphere within the group was becoming very intense and somewhat defensive. I do take my professional development seriously, but I want it to be enjoyable at the same time. I felt that, albeit unintentionally, the core of the group was being fractured, and that I was in danger of losing the trust and respect of the very artists who I feel most akin to in ethos and direction.

Of course Scarborough needs a vibrant and active artist’s community. Of course it should have events where artists, galleries, cafes, music venues and museums should come together to make our town come alive, and of course artists have a vital role to play, but there are already groups and structures in place to move this forward and make it happen. We shouldn’t be attempting to re-invent the wheel.  

What I believe is that we should be setting ourselves up as a group of professional artists who can provide representation at these established forums.  This is what I hope Scarborough Based Artists will lead to.  If we can do this and make friends and offer each other support along the way, so much the better.

Helen Birmingham
17th September 2012

1 comment:

  1. Really looking forward to being a part of this group, meeting new friends and being able to enjoy sharing my passion for art

    ReplyDelete