Friday 26 July 2013

Once Upon A Time - a generational fairytale - but not for the faint-hearted

Conceived in anger.
The King and Queen fought for her attention.
Fought for possession of the offspring princess.
He for love of him.
She for love of me.
But I couldn't feel her love,  
Only her disapproval.

The King held court.
None of it was the Queen's truth.
She was mute with her own frustrations.

Tempted away from the castle battlements
With false promises and testosterone,
The Princess thought she knew her own mind.
She'd get what was rightly hers; 
She'd get what she deserved.

She'd  get what she deserved.
whether she wanted it or not.

The King  had handed her the poisoned spindle.

And my father cried.
Tears for his first love. 
His first loss. 
Not mine.

Drunken sex in squalid squats and seedy motel  moats.
Flattered by the damp croakings of a randy frog.
I cried to my mother one night when i was drunk. 
She sat with me in silence and held my hand. 

But he'd told her that he loved her.
Surely he'd give her what she deserved.
The  princess was a frog-kissing prick-teaser
and he was her own true love.
Prince Charming.
Prince oh so charming.

I could hear my mother worrying that he would hit me.

He didn't hit.
So he must have been ok.
She was going to get what she deserved.
He didn't hit her so it must have been ok.
She wanted to leave him but 
He cried. 

Told her how much he loved her.
He'd never find anyone else like her.
He'd got more than he deserved. 

He loved me.
I was his princess.
Frog-kissing, cock-sucking princess.

Her carriage turned back to pumpkin, and
the horses turned back to mice.
Her dress in tatters and shoeless when Prince Charming raped her.

My mother sat in silence and held my hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment