Wednesday 3 July 2013

Revisiting work from 30 years ago!!

I'm very pleased with the way my work is going. I'm still working on the screens, hopefully meeting up with David Stephenson, Artist Blacksmith, next week to talk about the structure of the forged corners and hinges. All the forging will be very obvious and exposed and an integral part of the design.

I am feeling so much happier with the design of the panels too. Gone are the rather obvious Hundertwasser inspired spirals (although they may make a comeback later). I have gone back to looking at a basically monochrome palette and the designs are inspired by pebbles, rock formation, core sampling and tidal erosion patterns.






Realising that the proportion of the screen panels is the same as the microscope slides I have been interested in for ages, was a real turning point for me. It meant that I could revisit my Darwin work, and find a new direction for some of images, which I felt at the time, still had mileage in them for me.



Everywhere I look now, I am seeing images which remind me of work I was doing during my degree (and that was over 30 years ago!) - the same marks, the same images and the same interests recur over and over. There MUST be a reason for this. I need to push on through these investigations, which might feel a little repetitive, and hope that I will find the reason. I've never really dedicated enough time to see where the ideas will lead me. Now IS THE TIME to do it . . . . . . 




Well, tomorrow. Now it's bedtime. Good night x













No comments:

Post a Comment